Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Reflection on my learning experiences - Blog #2
My hopes and expectations of the Med. Programme are finally unfolding. I had the opportunities of reviewing others work and investigate innovative instructional and assessment strategies. I have also benefited from Working collaboratively with classmates, sharing their experiences and differences. The strategies also allow for everyone to participate in class.
The instructional strategies that Dr. Larsen brought to the forefront are innovative and interesting. My thought process is changing gradually as I continue to experience new instructional and assessment strategies. The games were enlightening and different. I often struggle to find games and strategies to      my lessons, but after taking part in the activities for the past two days I am now better able to construct games, learning activities and assessment strategies using the additional techniques that I have learnt.
I was privileged to read and analize some of Robert Marzaro’s research. Aspects of his work align with the methodologies and strategies I employ during lessons, while other findings contradict what was taught at the BEd and diploma level. The findings he put forward on homework and practice has impacted my thinking. I no longer think that homework is used solely to increase students’ scores, but also to develop good study habits, foster positive attitude towards school and communicate the idea that learning takes place at home as well.
I was appalled at is finding that specific objectives limits students ability. Therefore, during my eleven years of teaching, I have been limiting my students’ ability? However, after pausing for a moment and try to analyse his thoughts I must agree that his finding is true and we as educator should further investigate the effects of specific objectives on students’ ability

I also had the opportunity of studying Gregorc style Delineator, which is a self-assessment instrument. It also highlights dominant characters in ones behaviour. The was definitely an eye opening experience as I get to zoom in and reflect on some of my characters that fit the Abstract Sequential  (AS) character trait. After reflecting, I realized that I choose to study mathematics because of my obsession with logics and sequencing which are skills highly used in solving mathematics problems. I also love working alone which is a character that is dominant in AS people. I learn best in a well-organized and stimulating environment as characterized by AS learners. I wonder if having the AS character trait defines who I am or even my likes and dislikes.  According to the Instructional Strategies and the Rigor/ Relevance Framework, feedback and reflection and Logical and independent thinking are highly rated as AS. These two characters completely define who I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment