Reflective Entry –
Blog # 3.
We are now in the third day of class and I wonder if there
is still much to learn about instructional strategies. I realized that my scope
on instructional strategies was so narrow and limited. Having been exposed to
so many strategies over the three days has certainly broadened my scope of teaching
and learning and enriches my knowledge on instructional strategies and
assessment tools. All the strategies that I have worked with so far are
interesting, realistic and student centred and seeks to develop critical
thinkers.
We discussed the use and benefits of the 21st century
learning model, project-based learning model and the SAMR model. The elements of the 21st century
learning model are not new to me. My lessons are sometimes student cantered and
encourages hands-on activities. However, I now realize that I need to use this
strategy more often if I want to develop thinkers and move away from the
lecture method. This strategy also facilitates different learning styles and
supports variety of assessment strategies.
I found the Project-based learning model to be very interesting;
I have never used it before, but I am now motivated to do so after exploring
its benefits. As a mathematics teacher I am often faced with the question “why
do I have to learn this?” This strategy will automatically provide an answer to
that students as it helps students to formulate relationships between the
content learnt in class and what actually happen in the real world. They will
now be able to see mathematics in action and better able to transfer the
knowledge gained to solving problems in familiar and unfamiliar situations.
Looking back at previous lessons I have done, I can now identify the elements
of project- based learning that I need to incorporate in order for my students
to develop the higher order thinking skills. One of the limitation of using
this approach is that, if it is not properly coordinated, implemented and supervised,
the learning experience could turn out
differently from what you intend for the students to learn. Another limitation
is that if students do not know the content, they will not know what to apply
and service learning would be pointless at this stage.
The SAMR model has impacted me the least, probably because I
am not a keen on how to effectively use technology to develop a lesson in
mathematics. My students however, would opt to use this method as they are
technologically driven and are often seen interacting with various
technological gadgets, whether for the purpose of entertainment or education.
With their interest in mind I now see the need for me to participate in a
technology enhancement programme so that I will be better able to meet the
needs of the students and incorporate their love for technology in
lessons.
I support the constructivism approach to learning. The idea of
student centred classrooms and project- based learning cannot be over emphasize
as these are the elements of learning that creates thinkers. Getting the opportunity
to read various theories and participate in group discussion has given me new
insights on the importance of selecting instruction strategies that are student
cantered. I also realized that for students to gain maximum benefits from the
learning experience, the most appropriate strategies must be used at the right
time. Therefore, selecting when to use a strategy, how they will be used and
for what reason they are used, will determine the outcome of the learning
experience. The benefits of creating active learners and critical thinkers who
can formulate their own judgments, far outweigh the limitation of the
constructivism approach to learning. With this in mind I hope I will be able to
impact other mathematics teachers at my school so that they may see the need to
incorporate the constructivist approach as an instructional tool in lessons.
No comments:
Post a Comment