Determining Acceptable
Evidence of Students Understanding
Self Reflection
What did I learn from this session
about assessment (evidence of students learning)?
I have
learnt that in order to plan effectively for assessment one has to think about what
they will accept as reasonable evidence of students learning and how to measure
to what extent students learn, before planning for instruction. Mctighe and
Wiggins (2004) ,cited various methods that can be used to collect data about students’
performance. These include informal checks for understanding such as using
questioning, observation, quizzes/test, and conferencing and performance task
such as projects. I have also learnt that any assessment methods used must
reflect the objectives in the curriculum. Assessment used should cater to the
three types of curriculum. Assessments should be varied to capture students’
differences in learning styles and interest.
What ideas do I have for changing the
ways I assess for understanding?(graded or non-graded).What will I use?
With added
knowledge and ongoing reflections on various assessment methods and their
effectiveness, I am now better able to effectively use various assessment methods
and tailor each to fit students’ level of cognitive development and their interest.
I am also going to make conscious efforts to ensure that assessment strategies I
used will cater to varying learning styles and capture students’ interest as oppose to the quizzes i normally used. I will also strive to use a balance of both
formative and summative assessment to gather information prior to and during
instruction. I will now practice using the information generated from students
to guide further instructions. In order to gather more information on students’
reaction to the background design process I plan to carry out an experiment to
see to what extent this technique can improve learning when compared to the
traditional way of planning.
How can you make these manageable?
Before
students are given task they will be sensitized as to what is expected from
them while performing the tasks. I will also walk students through the rubric
that they will be assess against so they have an idea of the quality work that
is expected from them and work to meet the criteria. I will also exercise the
use of differentiated instruction in the form of preparing task with varying
complexity level for students to work their way up blooms taxonomy.
Hi Florence,
ReplyDeleteI can see the process of change has begun. What do you mean by, "carry out an experiment?" Are your learners Guinea pigs? Where do you place them in this picture?
Revisit your understanding the term differentiation.
How are you using the terms differentiation and complexity?